Dental Care and Your Pet

Professional Cleanings • Endodontics • Periodontal TreatmentsRestoratives • Dental Home Care & Nutritional Counseling • Oral Surgery • Synthetic Ceramic Bone Grafts

Our dental care standards are designed with your pet’s health and comfort in mind. We offer many services not available from other veterinarians. East Lake Veterinary Hospital follows strict guidelines to assure the highest level of safety and sterility for your pet.

Dental Care...a key to pet longevity

• 80% of pets develop gingivitis (gum tissue disease) by the age of 3.
• Dental disease is painful to your pet.
• More than 85% of dogs and cats over 4 years of age have oral disease.
• No other medical procedure does more to improve your pet’s health than regular dental cleanings.
Infection from the mouth is a leading cause of kidney failure, heart failure, liver disease, and lung disease.
What sets East Lake's dental therapy apart?

Our hospital is accredited by the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA), a distinction held by less than 14% of animal hospitals in the country. This accreditation is earned through our adherence to AAHA’s stringent standards for the highest quality of care. All of our doctors are members of the American Veterinary Dental Society (AVDS) and have advanced training in dentistry.

The 21 steps of East Lake Dental Care

1. Pre-anesthetic evaluation - Our on-site laboratory allows us to screen for hidden problems before your pet’s treatment begins. These tests also provide a baseline for monitoring your pet and allow us to tailor the anesthesia to your pet’s needs. Additionally, blood pressure, temperature, pulse, respiration, and an EKG are evaluated prior to anesthesia.

2. Preoperative medication - After your pet is admitted, medications are administered to help relieve anxiety, decrease discomfort, and help reduce the level of anesthesia needed for your pet’s procedure.
3. Intravenous catheter and fluids - Prior to your pet’s procedure, a small, comfortable catheter is placed in a leg vein for the administration of fluids. These fluids help the patient recover more quickly from anesthesia, maintain blood pressure, and increase circulation during anesthesia. The intravenous catheter is also used to administer medications if needed.

4. Anesthesia is necessary to fully examine the mouth, to effectively remove plaque below the gum line and to properly polish the teeth. An endotracheal tube is placed and helps prevent bacteria taken off the teeth during cleaning from entering the lungs. Isoflurane gas is the gas anesthesia we use, which is also used in human medicine. It is primarily eliminated through the respiratory tract, rather than through the kidneys or liver, so risk is low and patients recover quickly. 5. Monitoring & Nursing care - Your pet’s blood pressure, temperature, heart rate and rhythm, respirations, and oxygen levels are closely monitored using state of the art equipment. Additionally, CO2 levels can be monitored for additional safety. Trained veterinary nurses assist our veterinarians throughout the procedure and they stay with your pet throughout recovery.
6. Oral examination - Once your pet is anesthetized the mouth is fully examined. The throat, tonsils, tongue, and teeth are inspected closely for disease, and your pet is evaluated for periodontal disease. 7. Digital Dental radiographs - Only 20% of your pet’s teeth are visible and the other 80% lies below the gum line. Dental radiology is an important diagnostic tool that allows us to examine below the gum line for disease and abscesses that can otherwise not be seen. Digital dental radiography, only available at a limited number of veterinary practices, allows for immediate results and electronic referral to a specialist when needed.

8. CET antibacterial oral rinse - This product is rinsed over the teeth prior to beginning the cleaning process in the mouth. The active ingredients, chlorhexidine and zinc gluconate, help kill bacteria in the mouth and prevent bacterial aerosolization and the systemic spread of microorganisms into other areas of your pet’s body.

Steps 9 thru 21